Street Date: Eric Church Releases Tribute To Grandfather With ‘Chief!’
[pullquote quote="Brimming with blow-ups, kiss-offs and a few salty tears between the sneers...Church knows how to tell a story." credit="Washington Post"]Country artist and storytelling songwriter [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Eric Church[/lastfm] releases his much anticipated album, Chief, available online and in stores today. The album’s title comes from a nickname his band and crew have been calling him ever since he began donning a hat and sunglasses before hitting the stage each night. While the nickname came from a crew poking fun at their boss, it stuck and is something that Eric is proud of, as his late grandfather also was called “Chief.” (He was the chief of police of a town in North Carolina.)
2011 Academy of Country Music Top New Solo Vocalist, Eric Church is well-known for his story-telling lyrics. Church co-wrote 10 of the 11 tracks on this third album.
Chief Track List:
1. “Creepin'” (Eric Church / Marv Green)
2. “Drink In My Hand” (Eric Church, Michael P. Heeney, Luke Laird)
3. “Keep On” (Eric Church / Ryan Tyndell)
4. “Like Jesus Does” (Casey Beathard / Monty Criswell)
5. “Hungover & Hard Up” (Eric Church / Luke Laird)
6. “Homeboy” (Eric Church / Casey Beathard)
Check out the music video, filmed on site at Tennessee State Prison.
7. “Country Music Jesus” (Eric Church / Jeremy Spillman)
8. “Jack Daniels” (Eric Church / Jeff Hyde / Lynn Hutton)
9. “Springsteen” (Eric Church / Jeff Hyde / Ryan Tyndell)
10. “I’m Gettin’ Stoned” (Eric Church / Jeff Hyde / Casey Beathard / Jeremy Cradey)
11. “Over When It’s Over” (Eric Church / Luke Laird)
Read what the critics are saying:
“Every good artist reaches a watershed moment and Eric Church has arrived at his with ‘Chief’ “ – The Boston Globe
”Church joins singers Jamey Johnson and Jason Aldean in showing how country music can move into the future with substance and integrity.” – Associated Press
” . . . one of Nashville’s sharpest young songwriters, and on Chief the rock guitars and twangy blues are set against big hooks and finely grained storytelling.” – Rolling Stone
” . . . one of Nashville’s most detail-oriented songwriters…the honesty of his confessions can sear.” – Entertainment Weekly
“…Eric has created the most lively, and arguably most adventurous, record to come out of Nashville this year.” – Country Weekly
Jason the 300lb Cowboy contributed to this post.