Top 10 Health Benefits Of Drinking Alcohol
(CBS Radio) — Attention beer and hard liquor lovers, you can go ahead and push aside that glass of wine — because just like wine, your beverage of choice has health benefits too.
Wine seems to get most of the credit when it comes to the health benefits associated with alcohol consumption, but the truth is, most alcoholic beverages (when consumed in moderation,) are beneficial to your health.
While heavy alcohol consumption increases your risk of being diagnosed with various diseases, several studies have indicated that a glass of wine/beer or two a day, may very well keep the doctor away.
Here are the top 10 health benefits of drinking Alcohol:
10. A nationwide study from several years ago indicates that drinking alcohol in moderation lowers your risk of developing heart disease, diabetes, and also reduces the likelihood that you will suffer from a stroke.
9. Alcohol consumption in moderation may reduce your chances of developing hypertension (high blood pressure.) The study, published in the JAMA Journal, evaluated 70,000 women over the course of eight years — who were between the ages of 25 to 40. The women’s drinking habits were analyzed and the study concluded that moderate drinkers are less likely to have elevated blood pressure. On the other hand, women who consumed larger quantities of alcohol were more likely to have high blood pressure.
8. A study shared by the American Diabetes Association, suggests that men who drink one or two alcoholic beverages per day were nearly 25 percent less likely to be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
7. Research shows that middle-aged women who consume alcohol in moderation are less likely to develop blood clots, heart disease, or suffer from a stroke. The study was published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
6. Good news for all you beer drinkers out there…moderate consumption of beer leads to higher vitamin B6 levels in your body, compared to non-drinkers.
5. Both beer and wine contain the same amount of antioxidants, which promote health and prevent diseases. It is speculated that the more antioxidants you consume, the longer you will live.
4. If you enjoy cooking with beer, you may be protecting yourself from cancer. When you marinate your meat in beer, you reduce the amount of carcinogens by nearly 90 percent.
3. Women who drink alcohol in moderation were around 20 percent less likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease. Furthermore, older women who consume alcohol were mentally sharper than women who abstained from alcohol.
2. A study published in the American Journal of Epidemiology suggests that men who drink beer on a regular basis are 40 percent less likely to develop kidney stones.
1. Drinking moderate amounts of alcohol may promote bone health in men and women. Maintaining good bone health is especially important as people age.
-QC Writer, CBS Radio